With over 30,000 visitors lining the Town Quay and a record number of boats in the water, the fourth Poole Harbour Boat Show has been hailed a success by the event organiser, Poole Harbour Commissioners.
Kerrie Gray, Manager of the Poole Harbour Boat Show said “As the first show since Poole hosted the European Maritime Day it was an important year for us. The show needed to prove it had a future by standing on its own two feet and we’re delighted to report that it did just that. Over the 3 days we had more than 30,000 visitors and a record number of boats on the water.”
Marketing Manager at Sunseeker, Bryan Jones said: “The 2018 Poole Harbour Boat Show was another huge success and a local show we are extremely proud to be part of”.
Early feedback has indicated a significant number of sales were made over the weekend and a survey of Quayside and Marina exhibitors has shown that 80% plan to ‘definitely’ return for 2019, with the remaining 20% labelling themselves as a ‘maybe’.
At the end of the first day of the show, Brokerage Sales Manager, Alan Knapp GM enthused, “We have sold three boats today, a Beneteau GT40, a brokerage Fairline Targa 38 and a Bayliner Element E5. Interestingly two of these buyers were first time buyers”
The show continues to be the biggest-ever free to attend Boat Show on the South Coast.
Kerrie Gray, Boat Show Manager commented “Whilst most other boat shows charge for entry, Poole's is free of charge. Open access attracts not only significant numbers of enthusiasts but also those who are new to the market place, keen to learn which boats and watersports suit their lifestyle in a relaxed and approachable environment, helping to encourage blood into the marine leisure sector.”
She added “The moment you get people onto the water is the moment they fall in love with the water”.
The show included more than 250 exhibitors, transforming the Poole Quay and Poole Quay Boat Haven into a free showcase of sail and motorboats of all sizes, tall ships, RIBs, outboard engines, clothing, water sports activities and marine equipment. In addition, the 4th annual event also boasted Sunseeker’s show debut of the Predator 74, two nights of spectacular fireworks, a parachute display from the REME Lightning Bolts Army display team and live music from the ‘Sunseeker Sessions’ music stage.
Bryan Jones from Sunseeker commented “We’re very excited to be part of our local show where visitors had the opportunity to get onboard our incredible Predator 74, receiving its UK public debut.”
“The ‘Sunseeker Sessions’ stage was a real focal point on the quayside and it was fantastic to see so many families enjoying the live music. For a local boat show, that is free to the public, it’s great to see it grow year on year and we’re already looking forward to the 2019 Poole Harbour Boat Show.”
Following on from the success of the show, Poole harbour Commissioners have confirmed that the Poole Harbour Boat Show will be back next year on 7th, 8th and 9th June 2019.
Jim Stewart, Chief Executive of PHC, commented: “PHC has a commitment to the local and marine communities to generate positive activity in and around the harbour. The Commissioners and management team are proud to organise this event for Poole, to support the town’s bustling Quay and its businesses, and to encourage entry level and boating enthusiasts to visit.”
“I’d also like to thank all the sponsors who supported us this year. Without their generous support we couldn’t run the show and we are extremely grateful for their support which has made this year’s show such a success”.
Sponsors of the 2018 Poole Harbour Boat Show were Sunseeker International, Sibbett Gregory, Coleman Insurance, Conker Spirit, Elite Signs, Greenslade Pleasure Boats, Dorset Cruises, Lester Aldridge, PKF Francis Clark, British Marine Wessex, MS Amlin, MAC Marine Claims, Designosaur, Brittany Ferries and media partners Bournemouth Daily Echo and Wave 105.